Saturday, September 17, 2011

Today

This morning on my walk with Buddy, I got to enjoy watching a lovely hot air balloon. You have to use your imagination on this one and just trust me. I did not have any capability to zoom in.

Seeing the balloon reminded me of the time when one landed in the field across from our house in PA. We chased it. It was amazing to watch it land. The spectators got to help "fold" it up.

The older boys are traveling this weekend. They headed up to the Northeast to visit the Coast Guard Academy. From what I heard, it is still at the top of Pumpkin's short list. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about it. I keep telling myself to just relax, though. I have to remember this is a teenage boy that won't be forthcoming with information.

Pumpkin ref'd some games today. I snapped a few. They aren't very good, but you get the idea.




I haven't watched him for some time. He's really improved and did a good job with the U8s.

I wish I could say I've been productive, but I've taken advantage of not having everyone home. I read a magazine, did some knitting, meandered my way through the laundry, and just putzed around. It seems like all my project ideas cost money and we are spending money on travel this month. So, the glorious ideas will have to wait.

I only worked two days this week and had some free time to do some shopping. I popped into Eddie Bauer on Friday. They had an additional 30% off clearance items. I got two pair or shorts for less than $10 a piece. The best is that I did not even try them on. I grabbed my size and left. Guess what? They are perfect. I picked up thin rain/wind jackets too. Peanut did not have any jeans. I had a Kohl's 30% off coupon. I stopped in today and bought all the varieties of Levi's they had in his size. We ended up with two pairs that fit him well. Other than having to return the rejects, it all worked out. I am happy Peanut is still okay with the Levi's and doesn't feel the pressure to have something else. I am crossing my fingers that he doesn't grow too much between now and our trip to Seattle!

I am reading a book called the New Global Student by M. Frost. I am intrigued by the premise and am curious to see how the philosophy may apply to my family. I know we'll get sucked into all the college prep stuff. Kids here are routinely taking the ACT in 7th grade. Pumpkin just took his for the first time in 10th grade. At Peanut's IEP meeting, we were challenged for not permitting him to take the ACT in 7th grade. The kids are faced with so much pressure and we don't think he needs it. Also, I hate the fact that kids get labeled by their scores. There is so much more to it all than just a number. We later learned that we were pressured because they think he'll do well. Receiving kudos for his performance is the farthest thing from my humble Peanut's mind. Anyway...

Tomorrow, we'll head to mass. Peanut will go to PRE. He's got homework and an art drawing to work on. I've got to vacuum and make it look like I did something before the Big Guy gets home in the late afternoon. Between this trip and the upcoming soccer stuff, we won't spend a weekend together until we head out West in about a month. Wild!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Peanut looks so tall in those photos! No wonder he needed new jeans. I LOVE Eddie Bauer outlet. I always find more there than I went in for. We probably have the same shorts now ;) I can't wait to hear about Pumpkin's trip and what he thinks. We were just discussing Airforce or Navy. The book you're reading sounds really interesting. I'm suprised actually that he didn't have to take the ACT in 7th. It seems here that all that is required which is very tiring. Tests only test some things... not everything. Wish I could see Peanut's drawing! :)