Saturday, February 18, 2012

Viking Culinary School

The Big Guy got us tickets to the Viking Cooking School. It was part of my Christmas present. You gotta keep in mind that he hates to cook. I, on the other hand, love it. I was flattered. We went to the Surf & Turf class on Friday night. This was even more special as we don't go out on dates very often.
I dug my phone out and snapped a few shots. They aren't the best but capture the moment. In this first one, he was cooking some bacon for the twice baked potato soup.
We have never made lobster at home.  We have a hard time rationalizing anything like that as we live in the middle of the country.  This lobster was huge!  I was surprised at how easy it is to cook.  We just might try it.  The boys would like the experience.
Moments later the Big Guy dropped the lobster in the pot.  There wasn't any "singing" or "hopping."  I was glad the lid did not pop off!!
I have to say he did a fabulous job grilling the steaks.  They were a special treat.  There were twelve folks in the class and we were grouped in three groups of four.  I was feeling some pressure that the Big Guy was cooking someone's steak!
The meal was very heavy!  I think they loaded it up.  I don't think anyone would serve all we had in one meal.  You can't see the lobster bisque sauce.  I put it in a separate dish to dip it.  I am just like that. I was looking forward to the roasted broccoli.  It ended up being too salty for my taste.
I did not take a picture of the desert.  The Big Guy is still raving about how good it was.  It was an apple cake with caramel sauce and cinnamom ice cream.  Yum!  You just can't think about all the butter.  It was loaded!  The cake was extremely moist.  We will have to give a try at home.

After the class, I got the opportunity to shop in the Viking store.  I would love a Viking stove, but ended up buying a flexible steamer.  We used it tonight to steam some asparagus.  How easy that was.  For years, I've been dragging out my bulky rice/steamer appliance - won't have to do that.  Bring on the veggies!  I also bought a bench scrape.  I think once I get in the habit of using it, I won't know how to prep w/o it.
The class was informative and very entertaining.  The food was good albeit way too much for one person.  Unfortunately, you can't take any home.

If you have the chance to attend a class, jump at it.  There are a few other classes on the list that we just might have to try.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh... that looks wonderful! My dream is to have a Viking stove! I have always wanted to do something like that-- you are so lucky! And now I'm hungry, looking at all the pics. One question: what is a bench scrape?