Sunday, July 8, 2012

CMU, Dennison, & OSU

We changed up our annual trip to Cincinnati - just a bit.  After a few family parties, we headed toward Pittsburgh to tour Carnegie Melon University.  After seeing red brick buildings at other schools, it was refreshing to see the yellowish brick.
We met with the swim coach before our tour.  Impressive!  I really liked him and would feel comfortable having my son swim for him.

CMU was my first choice in high school, but I did not get accepted.  Things all worked out for the better as I have to say Vanderbilt more than exceeded my expectations.

I love this sculpture they added to campus.
This is my favorite view on campus.  It is from what was the women's college.  Don't let it fool you.  We brought the hot weather with us.  It was warm!
After the campus tour, we checked in to our hotel.  Gotta love Hampton Inn!  They comp'd us an adjoining room.  The boys were thrilled to sleep in their own beds.  For dinner, we headed to the touristy Primanti Brothers for sandwiches.  
The guys had a great time talking about all the athletes faces on the wall of the restaurant.  Growing up, Pittsburgh Steeler's were the Big Guy's favorite.  I don't know how that came about, but it did.
The sandwiches are big.  They come with fries and cole slaw on the sandwiches.  The Big Guy and I shared one.  It was perfect.
Pumpkin had to get all the slaw off the sandwich.  Who knows what his stomach would have done if he ate it.
After dinner, we walked round Pittsburgh. They were hosting a regatta.  We missed the racing, but enjoyed this sand sculpture of our founding fathers.  I have to look up the company sansentional.  That would be an interesting, creative job.
We did not do the infamous incline.  It was hot and the cars are not air conditioned.  The boys were not interested.  Touring colleges really zaps you of energy.  The boys just wanted to hang out in the hotel room.

On our way back to Cincinnati, we stopped in Granville to look at Dennison.  It is beautiful.  Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone there as they were closed for July 4th.  Pumpkin would be honored to swim there.  I'd be honored to go up there in the fall and see the beautiful trees.

Of course, we swung by OSU too.  We were so close.  We did not tour.  We ate lunch and walked around.  Pumpkin thought it was nice, but huge!

We've got a few more to check off our lists.  The college decision will be upon us quicker than we know!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I noticed the big guy wore his alumni tee! It's been awhile since we've been to Pittsburgh and you reminded me of how much I love those sandwiches. We are big Steeler fans here... It's a good organization so a lot of kids become fans from out of state. I don't know how you guys will make up your mind about college! Lots of good ones to choose from. OSU isn't really too big... There are a lot of options in your studies when you go there. N has it on his list. Good luck!