Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Break 2014::Day Six

Hello, New Orleans!  We got up early on Thursday to meet my sister and family.  They were on a Carnival cruise coming back to port that morning.  We did not get to go right down to their ship.  Once they disembarked, they met up with us.
We waited around for my sister for about an hour.  The boys gave me a hard time that I got them up early and it was vacation.  Oh, well!  I love the architecture in the French Quarter snapping this one of them in front of the cathedral.

We finally met up with them at Cafe Du Monde, a yummy New Orleans favorite!  It was so lovely to hang out with them, hear about their trip and have fresh beignets.

We had a culinary tour of the city planned.  We found a lovely hotel lobby to hang out and wait for the tour.  Still pinching myself that these two are my boys...
 The tour started at Antoine's, a soon to be sixth generation restaurant.  We learned so much history and tried some local favorites, gumbo, pralines, turtle soup, shrimp remoulade, brisket, and red beans & rice.
Lots of French Quarter restaurants have lovely courtyards inside the buildings.  This was after we sampled turtle soup.  It was very rich and not one of my favorites.
 This is a very old stand up bar.  Again, you can't beat the charm.
The tour lasted a good three hours.  Everyone loved it.  It was such a unique way to get to know the city.  After the tour, Pumpkin went back to buy more pralines.  The rest of us thought they were way too sweet.  I found a yarn store and bought some sock yarn.

It was such a pleasure to be a family of four - all together.  I love the way the boys thrive off of each other.  I grabbed Pumpkin's arm as we walked.  At one point, I made both boys hold my hand.  Loved it!

No comments: