Sunday, October 19, 2014

Once Upon A Town

Our town started an initiative this month for all of Collierville to read the same book.  Big Guy finished the book, Once Upon A Town, by Bob Greene.  I've got it on my bedside, but knitting is the priority this time of the year!  Anyway, Collierville is a town where the railroad played an important part in the town history.  The town square is built around the railroad.  Once Upon a Town is about the railroad depot in North Platte, Nebraska.  They built a canteen and "fed" all the troops arriving and departing during WWII.  It was such a touch of humanity.  Yesterday, the town hosted a brief presentation of Collierville's help in WWII.  Then, the movie, The Canteen Spirit, was shown.  The Big Guy and I went.  We were the youngest folks there.  I think.  It was very interesting.  The movie was touching.  A kind gesture of greeting the troops had such an impact!  As I watched, I wondered if my dad stopped in North Platte on his way to San Francisco.  He served in WWII.  For whatever reason, he was picked out of the crowd and pulled off a ship headed for the Pacific theatre.

After the movie, we met Peanut for lunch at Cafe Piazza.  It is one of my favorite restaurants right on the railroad tracks off the Collierville square.  We splurged combining lunch and dinner.  I imbibed in their house wine.  It was wonderful!  We saved just a little room for dessert and walked to City Hall Cheesecake.  We shared a yummy slice of red velvet cheesecake.  That little shop is where we had Pumpkin's going away party.  It was nice to have him there with us - if only in spirit!

It was a lovely afternoon/early evening.  Peanut headed off with friends and we came home to watch football.  I made lots of progress knitting!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

It sounds like a great day! You live in an interesting place... and the cheesecake sounds delicious!