Monday, July 28, 2008

Mixing it up for Church

Yesterday the forecast was ugly. We were supposed to heat up to 100 and the heat index was even higher. The Big Guy wanted to go for a bike ride. The only way to do that was to get up and go early in the morning. Peanut spent the night at a friend's house. We knew he'd be tired in the morning. So, we decided to just hang out and go to mass on Sunday night. We have never done that before - recently. I remember growing up there was a Sunday night mass that I ended up going to with my sisters. Most churches have long since done away with Sunday nights.

Anyway, we went to a nearby church. It is not our official parish church. They just started this mass about a year ago. It is labeled as contemporary. WOW! It was wonderful. There was lots of music mixing classic music with newer music. The priest was very energetic. It was a refreshing experience. We ended up knowing quite a few people in the congregation. It seems like the word is out. I could get used to going there. We are going to try it a few more weekends to see how it fits into the routine. It may be the perfect way to start the new week with mass and dinner on Sunday evening.

The recessional hymn was a new age song saying "go make a difference." It was just what I need to hear. I struggle with where/how I make a difference. I think that is one of the biggest challenges as a SAHM. The song brought it back to me that I make a difference every day in many ways, some may be small and some may go unnoticed.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Most definitely! You do make a difference every day!!! Our church usually has Sunday evening Masses but not during the summer months. I think that's a wonderful thing about being Catholic... you can find a parish that feeds your family the best. I love our priests right now. They are all different but they each bring something unique to Mass.

Joyce said...

Becky, you DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I am blessed to call you 'sister'. Always there in a time of need.
Love you Sis,
Joyce