Monday, November 3, 2014

State Cross Country 2014

Saturday, we made our way to the TN State Cross Country Meet in Nashville.  Winter weather was one of the highlights for the day.  It is better to run in cool weather than in hot weather.  We were not complaining.
 I even pulled out my winter hat.  The wind was whipping.
I was pretty composed at the start of the race.  I was just so worried about Peanut.  We heard more stories about his regional run, how terrible he looked, hot gutsy he was to finish.  I kept telling him to just have fun.  He told the Big Guy that he wasn't going to have fun.  He was going to give 110%.
I put my camera down and decided to just watch.  I was so nervous, anyway.  If I had taken pictures, they would have been blurry.  Peanut was in the lead group until about 2.25 miles.  Then, someone kicked him like he was a soccer ball.  He went down on gravel, rolled, and bounced back up.  Yes.  The runners all have spikes on.  Unfortunately, his body was already hitting the "wall."  He did finish coming in first for the team but not a personal record.  This picture stirs up angst in me.  It is so hard as a parent to watch your child work so hard and not be able to help him.
When I saw him at the finish, all he said to me is "what is wrong with me?"  I wish I knew.  We've talked to some folks and think it is a combination of diet and training.  I should probably call the pediatrician, but think that is a needle in a haystack.  I hope the solution to better race management is as easy as having him eat more!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That was really rotten that another runner kicked him! I would think that wouldn't be allowed. I think he's pretty impressive-- not many kids can do what he does. I know what you're talking about with the weather-- Nathaniel played his last soccer game on Sunday and we got that wind! I had to leave at halftime because my whole face was numb and I just couldn't take it anymore! But today is absolutely gorgeous and sunny. It would be a good day for cross country!