Friday, January 2, 2015

Sock Mission Accomplished!

Back in September, I challenged myself to make two pairs of socks each for Pumpkin and Peanut for Christmas.  Mission accomplished!

I love Cubics needles.  The square shape makes the knitting fly by.  I was able to knit Peanut's right under his nose and he did not even know.  I knit a K2P2 ribbing for about 15-20 rows with 64 stitches. When I start the leg of the sock, I reduced to 56 stitches knitting for about 8-10 inches before starting the heel flap.  I know the pattern by heart and can knit these on the go.  I took them on car trips, to cross country meets and to work.  Best part?  The socks fit the boys!
Peanut's are the top two paris.  The lighting is not the best, but you get the general idea.  The first pair was knit using Lang yarns in Jawoll color.  It is a superwash from Switzerland.  It is soft.  I did not match the socks - just went with the flow.  The second pair was knit using Meilenweit Merino in color 2147.  I wanted to get something with gray and maroon, school colors.  This was closest I could find.

Pumpkin's first pair was knit in CGA orange and blue.  I searched Etsy to find the yarn.  It is hand painted from Catawampus Farm in Minot, ME.  This is some soft yarn.  It is 80% super wash merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon in the color way Crivens.  I really enjoyed the striping and soft pooling of the lighter blue.  The last pair is knit with Schoppel Wolle Zauberball in red/navy.  This yarn is closer to a sport weight yielding some thicker socks.  I bet they ware super warm!  Pumpkin will only get to wear them when he wears civilian clothes.  I know this limits his time to enjoy them.  It is all about the thought that counts.  He is going to Germany for spring break and just might get the chance to wear these socks!
When I started this challenge, I tried to limit Christmas to only these handmade socks.  I was not able to stick to that.  But, we had a very reasonable Christmas.  And, I think the boys were happy.  It was more about enjoying the time together.  I'm off and knitting another pair or socks.  I think these will be for the Big Guy.  The yarn is lovely.  I picked it up when we were in New Orleans for spring break.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

These socks are amazing!!! The yarns look like they'd be fun to knit with because the patterns emerge as you go. I don't think it's easy to knit socks so I'm impressed! I hope they love them.