Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Crowder Peas and School Crate

I love the trips to the farmer's market. It challenges us to try something new and get creative with the recipes. We found out the foot long beans are an Asian style bean. Little did I know we were having them in honor of our friends that just relocated to Hong Kong! I sliced the beans into one inch pieces and sauteed them in some olive oil. The Big Guy and I enjoyed them. The boys even tried them. To that sister of mine that loves green beans, give them a try if you can find them.

I picked up some fresh Crowder Peas at the market this weekend. I settled on this recipe for a Hobo dinner. I cooked the peas in boiling water for 35 minutes and added them to the dish. The dish has lots of veggies and is very simple. The boys thought it was okay. One was concerned about the baked sliced potatoes. He had not eaten them like that. Who is depriving these boys? One ate the dish with ketchup, one with cheese and one with seasoned salt. I am going to reheat some for lunch and sprinkle some Tabasco on top.

Peanut needed to bring in a cube crate as a school supply. They store their workbooks and other things in it. I went shopping in my attic digging out a crate that I think I used in college. Peanut thought it was great. A few Clorox wipes gave it a new shine and I added our name to the side. The challenge with this is that we ride our bikes to school. It took me about a minute to decide to hook a bungie cord on the crate. I started the ride with the cord over my shoulder. It kept slipping off. So, I tightened up the cord and held it in my hand. It worked out great. I know I impressed Peanut with my ingenuity:))

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Hee hee... I was chuckling at that last statement!! That is actually really cool that he's using a "college" crate! I'm impressed with his determination to bike to school. I wish his enthusiasm for it would rub off on my two!!!

Congrats on your bravery with new veggies and recipes!! I threw eggplant into my spaghetti last night and you'd think I contaminated the whole thing with the comments I got!!! But they lived... and ate it.