Saturday, August 9, 2008

More Goings On Here

I participated in my first ever fabric swap organized by See Katie Sew. I am not the quilt person, but liked the challenge of having a bunch of squares to do something with. Here are the swap details. I had a great time getting my squares ready for the swap. It was a great way to use up random fabric here in the house. I've been stopping in at Katie's blog. Her husband's cancer has come back. He needs a bone marrow transplant. Because he is adopted, family members are not a suitable match. Anyone interested in signing up for the bone marrow bank, see Katie's blog.

You can see the little note I added to each package. I apologize for this picture. I tried to rotate it and every time I uploaded it it went back to this sideways position! I don't have time to play with it anymore.

As a last wahoo to summer, we took the boys to ride go karts, to ride bumper boats and to play putt putt. They loved the go karts. I found Peanut researching gokarts on the Mac this morning. He wants to buy one or make one. What have we done? They finished the evening playing some games and each came home with a whoopee cushion. You can only imagine the sounds coming from this house. Did I mention that all the mosquito bugs bit me? It was worth it. The boys had a blast.


Last night, Pumpkin headed to a friend's for sleep over. Peanut had soccer practice and I planned an all American meal in honor of the Olympic opening ceremonies. I made baked beans using a Cooking Light recipe. They tasted much better than they look. Could it be that they held in the oven waiting for soccer to end?

Where did the table go?

We broke all the rules and moved the table in to the family room right in front of the TV. I know the color is missing from the plate. We snacked on some green and orange before dinner. It was fun and the ceremony was amazing. The technology was incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but could not help to wonder what the impact this enormous production had on the environment.

Lastly, before this becomes the longest post ever, we headed to the Memphis Farmer's Market this morning. It is about 30 minutes away and doesn't make the most sense to truck all the way down there.

Look at all the goodies we came home with. These are fresh sweet peas. What am I going to make?

The basil aroma filled the car. The sweet pea watermelons are perfect for Peanut. He'll probably eat one in a sitting. The breads will spice up our sandwiches at lunch time.

Look at these foot long beans. I could not pass them up. You are supposed to crack them or cut them up to eat them. I might just boil them whole and swirl them like a snake on a plate.

I am excited to look for recipes and come up with some fresh dishes. Thank goodness the internet makes it so easy. Before we left the market, I signed up for a half share in the community supports agriculture. Starting in September, I will pick up fresh veggies once a week. I am sure that will require more recipe experimentation.

Happy weekend to all! I'm off the Mac and on to all the other things on my list.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

OH my! You got the most interesting things at the farmers market!!! I'm laughing at those green beans! That's so great that you were able to sign up this year for produce! I picked up okra and thought, "now how do I make this??" I got some purple green beans too!

We watched the Opening Ceremonies too and those fireworks were incredible... but I thought the same thing! Your dinner looks good and sounds like fun! And your day with the go carts! But let me warn you... we spent the whole school year making one for Odyssey of the Mind... they can get pretty complicated!! Good luck!