Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CSA Starts on Earth Day

It doesn't get much better! I got my first sack from the farmer today! They are otherwise known as Jill & Keith. I was on the ball this year and joined the CSA from the start of the season. I'm set for 25 weeks and am very excited to eat the locally grown veggies. Look at what was in today's sack. I have a weakness for fruit. My mouth is watering looking at those strawberries. They will be great with dinner. I need to find a recipe for the kale. It looks lovely. I hope I can make it taste good too! Those are fresh salad greens right from the field. What a wonderful salad that will make!

I've had a headache the last few days. It is not necessarily painful just very annoying. I thought it was a migraine and stayed home from choir rehearsal on Monday. It sort of went away on Tuesday, but came back today. I don't have lots of experience with migraines but my sisters do. Today I am thinking it is all sinus related. I tried a decongestant but it did not help. I don't do well with those anyway. Pumpkin came home not feeling the best. He has a scratchy throat and larnygitis. So, I think this may all morph into a head cold. I pulled the "my head is hurting" card and got the boys to help me with dinner.

I noticed in the picture that Peanut has pen on his left pinky finger. He is left-handed just like me. I remember always having ink from my school work on my hand. You had to be so careful not to smudge it. The spiral notebooks made it even more of a challenge.


With very little help, they got the chicken potpie made. It is cooking right now and the house smells good. This was on the menu from last week. I have to admit the weather is a bit warm for chicken potpie. I think it will taste great - as I did not have to make it. Pumpkin cut the slits in the top before Peanut wanted him to. Peanut wanted the slits to be in the shape of a smiley face. I know he is loving life. The weather is fabulous. He doesn't have practice and is outside enjoying this Earth Day!

I check in to Mark Bitten's blog regularly. This post got me thinking. I am a veggie lover and considered the vegetarian thing many times. When I was pregnant, I craved red meat. Go figure! With the CSA back in swing, I may just investigate more vegetarian options. I think one of the largest hurdles is getting protein in my kids' diets. And, the fact that one of them loves his steak. I think we could reach a middle ground. I'll see what I come up with - once this headache goes away!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

We had similar weeks!!! i never get headaches, but I had a bad one for two days! And Nathaniel was home sick with a cold. It's this weather I guess and allergies. I am SO jealous of your CSA stuff...yum!!! And I totally agree with you about the whole vegetarian thing. It's just that Craig loves meat and though I've tried, he won't let me give it up for more than a day!