Sunday, July 12, 2009

Happy 80th!

The Big Guy's dad, my father-in-law, turned 80 today! He is feeling great. This last year brought him open heart surgery. About a month ago, they inserted a pacer/defibrillator. The recent procedure seems to have propelled him down the road to a full recovery. He doesn't act his age! That can be a good thing!

I started with the idea to make him a hat. I hoped the stitches could be some number in the eighties. That did not work out, but here is the hat I ended up with. I used Mori plus yarn, color 557, on size 8 needles. I started with the 2X2 ribbing and kept on going. I found a site on the internet explaining how to decrease in a star pattern. It worked! I love the colorway. The only issue is the temperature is in the high 90's here. He won't get to wear it for months. It is the thought that counts.

I made the hat longer not quite knowing his head size. I figured if it is long he can always roll it up. Here is the birthday boy modeling the hat.

The hat is very soft. I did not line it with fleece thinking that might make it too hot. The yarn weight and gauge is perfect for our mild winters.

To celebrate his big day, we headed to Whitton Farms' Feastival.

This is the farmer's farm. I was so excited to see where my weekly veggies come from. Here is the set up. The music was wonderful, the food was yummy and it was very hot!!

This is the field where the swiss chard grows. I stil haven't found a good swiss chard recipe. Peanut saw a tiny toad and caught it. It brought back memories of me catching the tiny toads on my dad's farm.

Peanut did not hold him for long.

The farmer grows veggies and flowers. This year, they brought hives to the farm. Here they are. It was wild. If you look closely, you can see where the bees enter the bottom of the hive.

We bugged out after sampling the food provided by local chefs. We were all more than ready as it was hot and we were dripping. The farm is amazing. I kept marveling at the different lifestyle it must be. I am so glad to support this local farmer. It will be even more meaningful knowing where the food comes from!!

No comments: