Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mister Pip


I just finished the book, Mister Pip, by Lloyd Jones. A columnist for the Commercial Appeal suggested it last week in the Sunday paper. I was lucky enough to rent it from the library. It is an interesting read. It is pretty deep. I am not sure its Young Adult classification is correct. Then again, my expertise is not in literary classification.

The story references Charles Dickens' Great Expectations - which I have not read. It sort of made me want to tackle it. Mister Pip brought the power of books to the forefront of my mind. There is a tragic, unsettling ending. But, it does make you think about morals, family and home.

I on to my next book, Journal for Jordan. It is nonfiction and will be deep and sad. I have to mix it up reading a variety!

No comments: