Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine Milestone

Friday marked the finale of Valentine school parties for my family. Peanut is in 5th grade and this is it. Ironically, I was in Nashville with Pumpkin and did not get to go to the party:(

We decided to take a step away from candy and give sunflower seeds. The kind you can plant and grow. We love to watch the sunflowers grow in the yard. We aren't the best at remembering to plant the seeds each year. We thought these Valentine's would help remind us. We got packets of seeds and little envelopes from the craft store. Peanut made his own little Valentine seed packets.

He punched holes in the hearts, packets, saying, and planting directions tying them together with red yarn.

One classmate was "mad" at him for not giving candy! Kids crack me up! Another child actually ate one of the seeds!! Fortunatly, the seeds are edible and I don't think that caused much of a problem. I am not sure what gave her the impression that she would want to eat these seeds. You would think these kids are deprived. That is hardly the case. Anyway, Peanut was happy with the Valentine's and we had fun making them.

My hairdresser is due with her second baby any day now. It is a boy. I went to have my hair done last week. I whipped this little hat up. It is based on Susan B. Anderson's Star Hat from Itty Bitty Hats. I used a varigated Knitcol in the one year old size. I love the changes in color. This hat calls for three needle bind off. It works great seaming the top together. This was my first attempt at making my own tassels. They were easier than I thought they would be.

I knitted these hats for the high school swim coach and assistant coach. Pumpkin bought this yarn for his math project and did not use it. For the stocking cap, I finished with an i-cord and looped it in a know. His coach did not try it on. I hope he liked it and will wear it. The other cap is knit from Kristin Nicholas' Quarters Cap. I added a tassel to give it some pizzaz. I made the adult small but it ended up pretty big. I had to go with it as I ran out of time. The assistant coach was grateful and happily turned up the edge to make it fit. She said that she will wear it when she walks the dog.

Tonight is our annual Valentine's dinner with china, crystal, and silver. I'll be back tomorrow with pictures. Here's to lots of love!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love the hats!!! You are so good at knitting them now! And Craig was just commenting that there was no school Valentine's passed out this year. Of course they weren't even in school most of the week to pass them out even if they had them. Luckily the kids felt creative and made us cards!