Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sill Alice

A friend recently read the book, Still Alice, by Lisa Genova.

My mother in law is battling the awful disease of dementia. I was intrigued by my friend's review of the book and promptly ordered the book as a gift for the Big Guy's sisters.

A little voice inside my head was nagging me to read the book myself. How could I give it as a gift and not read it? Sure enough. It was in at our library.

So, instead of knitting, decorating, list making, or cleaning, I spent my free time yesterday reading this book. It is a good book. I know it is fiction, but it opened my eyes to what my MIL might be going through. It is a deep book. Now. I am anxious for my gift recipients to read it. I am making the Big Guy read it too. It will open the door for more discussion.

If you know of someone dealing with dementia or want to understand a bit more about it, give this book a read. Image snapped from http://www.powells.com/biblio/7-9781439102817-1#.

On the topic of aging, we watched Water for Elephants. It got approval from the entire family. The boys weren't too sure about it at the beginning, but were quickly sucked in. I had read the book and was pleased with the interpretation of it.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I had heard about this book ... thank you for writing about it! I also was curious about Water for Elephants. Now it's going on my "to see" list!