Sunday, August 5, 2012

Long Course Southeasterns 2012

There he is warming up swimming in the same pool all the US Olympic swimmers swam in just a week before.  The mom who takes pictures asked him to smile.  I am so grateful.  This pic just warms my heart.

The Southeastern Long Course Championships were a few weekends ago in Knoxville, TN.  This was only swim meet that we got to see him swim in this summer.  He broke his finger trying to catch a football going off a diving board.  It was a fluke.  Who knew that little finger would really hurt when he tried to swim.  Fortunately, it healed in time for the championships.  Pumpkin had a great meet.  It is hard to believe this might be his last long course meet (he might already be at school, this time next summer).  I thought I'd be a bit more emotional, but I held it in check.  I was just happy to see him improve his times.  He, of course, just wanted a few more seconds...

Here he is waiting to swim.  If I had to guess, I'd say he is exhaling from a deep breath getting his mind in the game.
Here he is swimming the breaststroke of the Medley relay.  I love the expressions on his face.
We had a nice family trip to Knoxville.  We drove two cars as the boys went white water rafting on the Ocoee River, the day after the meet.  They had a good time.  The only thing - about 100 miles from home, the a/c went out in the car.  It was very hot!  Needles to say, all of them were grumpy by the time they got home.  We got it fixed and I am appealing the charges with Honda America.  It seems like the car is too young to have some weird repairs.  I am not sure I'll get anything, but figured it was worth a shot.

Pumpkin is on a two week break and then short course starts up.  He's got some goals set for this season.  Is a couple seconds too much to ask?  It sounds like he is ready to put in the hard work required to make a few more qualifying times.  We will see.  School starts tomorrow!  There will be lots of balls to juggle.  I want to savor this senior year and enjoy the time we'll have together.  But, something tells me we'll all be holding on for this "rollercoaster" ride!!


1 comment:

Bethany said...

That must be inspiring to swim in the same pool as the Olympians! I think that's really cool. You should really be proud! I feel like I've been following him for years now too (he has his own fan club here in Lancaster!). I hope you get the car situation straightened out. That doesn't seem right, unless they blame all this very hot weather!