Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas in Collierville

For 45 years, I've spent Christmas Eve in Greenhills, Ohio.  With my mom's move to independent living, we talked about changing up the routine.  When I presented options to my boys, I was moved by their facial expressions.  It said it all.  They just wanted to stay home and open their presents in their house on Christmas.  I got it and that is just what we did.

I missed mass at St. Bernard with Fr. Schappelle.  Instead, we went to Christmas Vigil at our church.  Here's the snap before we left.
Pumpkin did not have the best of smiles and I think he is slouching.  This will be used for comparison next year to see how much Peanut has grown.
I made them snap a photo before we went into church.  I was so proud of myself.  I thoroughly enjoyed this time and did not turn into a blubbering mess wishing I was in Ohio.

In mass, I leaned over telling the Big Guy that he was the only one wearing a turtleneck.  I did not know that Pumpkin had already commented.  I guess we'll have to work on the Big Guy's wardrobe.  He's morphed into a dad with 10+ year old clothes.

Mass ran long and we missed our reservations for a nice dinner.  It was all good.  We headed to our favorite burger joint, Huey's, eating a late dinner before the kitchen closed.

We even enjoyed wine and beer.  Pumpkin was our designated driver.  It was so fun.  It took about five shots to get this picture.  We were cracking up.
We stopped at the gas station to get lottery tickets.  I wanted to use them for favors on Christmas Day.  We bought four $5 scratch off ones for us.  We think Peanut's card might be worth $150.  We are gonna go today and see.  That'd be nice!
 We had plenty of sweets.  Peanut made his standard ET bars, chocolate and peanut butter.  Pumpkin made a pecan pie which he has yet to try.
This was the Big Guy's request for Christmas morning.  Inside each pull apart is a chocolate surprise.  Peanut helped him make it.  Fearful that it would fall apart, they reinforced it with toothpicks.
More sweets - Peanut bought these for the Big Guy.  He remembered them at 4am.  He got up used printer paper and wrapped them up.  He drew decorations on the outside.  It was great!  When I first saw the gift under the tree, I was a bit jealous that I did not have a homemade gift.   Little did I know it was just the brownie mix.  Too cute!
 Pumpkin got some clothes, a mini, xbox games and some other things.
This tshirt says it all about Peanut.  If it has bacon on it, he will love it!  The new Xbox was plugged in and set up.  I forgot about the background noise from the Xbox.  It is not a bad thing, yet!
 Buddy joined in the festivities too!  Unfortunately, he doesn't like to wear his Christmas shirt.
We had the Big Guy's family over for dinner.  I went all out with chili and hot dogs.  It was easy and was enjoyed by all.  It was nice seeing them.  I got a fancy camera.  We can only hope good pictures are to come in 2013.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Becky, you look beautiful!!! And poor Buddy- I'm sure it's not as bad as it seems in that photo! ;) Tell D that I wore a turtleneck to Christmas Eve services too and we were just appropriately dressed for any impending storm! (which we did get here... not so sure about TN!) It looks like you guys had a great Christmas and now I am craving chili! N would love to hang out with your guys and play games all day!