Friday, June 26, 2015

JAM

These are local blackberries grown right here in our little town.  The smallest quantity available was one gallon.  We eat lots of berries, but one gallon is quite a few.
Yesterday, I decided to try my hand at making some jam.  I thought the crockpot would be good.  The process was simple, but it took too long from a time standpoint using the crockpot.  I strained the mixture resulting in seedless blackberry jam!  I used sugar and lemon to make the jelly.  Since I took this pic, I've added labels.  One jar is in the frig waiting for the first taste test.
We went blueberry picking on my birthday.  I think we left with three gallons of blueberries.  Today, I tried my hand at blueberry jam.  This time I made it on the stove top.  I had to punt with some of the canning steps as I don't have special equipment.  I was so excited to hear the jars "pop" when they cooled.  I might be on to something.  It is too early to think about Christmas gifts?  My other idea was blackberry vodka - thinking about trying some of that.  The process doesn't seem too hard.  I just need to explore what you do with blackberry vodka once you have it.  Oh!  I need to find a good biscuit recipe to use up some of this jam!

No comments: