Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Rhodes Singers

Last night, I got to attend the Rhodes Singers Christmas concert at an old Episcopal church here in town. It was such a treat. I went with two other friends from the Wolf River Singers. It was a girls' night out! We grabbed a quick dinner beforehand.

The concert was just magical. The college "kids" did a great job. It brought back memories from my time in the Vanderbilt concert choir. The voices were so pure and angelic. The selection of songs was wonderful. They ranged in style and in languages. My favorite was Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre. He is a phenom composer - young and amazing. We sang one of his songs last spring and I hope we get the chance to sing more. The concert ended with Where Riches are Everlastingly by Bob Chilcott. I loved the catchy refrain, "I pray you be merry and sing with me, In worship of Christ's nativity." I am going to search for that one to see if I can find it on itunes. I think it says so much in this time of advent.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

What a wonderful sounding evening!!! I wish I could be a part of your group of friends... that's a perfect way to celebrate the holidays!