Wednesday, April 20, 2011

JURY DUTY...OVER!

This was my week to serve my fellow citizens.

I schlepped down to Memphis on Monday morning a bit apprehensive.

About 300 of us listened to a long lecture, we sat through a verbal roll call, and, then, waited. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Peanut's teacher was there too. It helped pass the time chatting with her.

I got to head home Monday afternoon with orders to report back on Tuesday.

Tuesday morning they needed to fill juries for two courtrooms. Essentially everyone who was left in the waiting room was called to man a jury panel.

The juries were for criminal court. We all headed to 201 Poplar, went to security and headed up to our assigned courtroom lobby. We waited and waited and waited. There were 40 of us. I guess that is enough to fill the 12 jury + alternate slots. At almost 1pm, we were called into the courtroom. My heart was beating. Thhump! Thhump! The judge told us a bit about the case, we met all the folks in the courtroom, and we got to meet the boy who was charged with the crime, armed robbery. Since we were well past lunch time, the judge broke for lunch scheduling jury selection to start at 2pm.

At 2, all the potential jurors were ready to go. The deputy filed us into court. Guess who left her water bottle there from earlier? I noticed the lawyers were there but their briefcases were closed. And, the criminal was not around. As it turns out, when we left for lunch some family members related to the case caused a raucous outside the courtroom. The judge did not know what we heard. I had heard some folks talking extremely loud, but did not pay attention. I just wanted to get away from the screaming. Based on that incident, the judge did not think we could be an impartial jury. We were all dismissed!! We got to go home yesterday afternoon and don't have to report back at all this week.

I am thankful that I got to see the courtroom. I am thankful that it did not go any further than that. I did not want to be the one during the voir dire (French for "speak the truth,") jury panel questioning, that had to be excused because I was so nervous and about ready throw up! So, grateful that none of that happened.

I am off the hook in this county for 10 years! Wahoo!!!

No comments: