Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Room



Picture grabbed from this website, http://www.amazon.com/Room-Novel-Emma-Donoghue/dp/0316098337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302125621&sr=8-1

I finished another book! This year's been the year of reading and not much knitting - so far!

I read the book, Room, by Emma Donoghue. It's been on the bestseller's list and just happened to be in the new release section at the library.

This book took more than 50 pages for me to get used to the perspective. It is written from the main character, Jack's, point of view. He is five. He's spent his entire life in a room. I forged through the perspective thing and kept reading. The book is an easy read. Parts of it are rather disturbing. But, parts of it made me think. Jack has unconditional love for his mom.

I think I've mentioned that these teenage years with my older son present challenges. I feel like I am constantly nagging. I wonder where all his brain cells are. And, I was not ready for all the self-centeredness. Last night, the two of us were in the car listening to an NPR segment on the way to voice lessons. They were talking about how moms try too hard to be their daughter's friends. The guest stated that our kids need parents. Pumpkin looked over and said that I was not his friend. At first, it stung. He went on to say that that was a good thing. I got a bit of reassurance that Pumpkin's love is unconditional for me and someday he'll "get" it and be grateful.

Beyond the darkness of the book subject matter, the book made me appreciate my moments with Pumpkin even more.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I was just telling some friends that the bond between a mother and her son is so strong. You are such a good Mom!!! He is just trying to find his way independently... he is such a good kid... these things are normal. (Just remind me of that when N is in high school!!). I don't think you have to worry because I'm sure he loves you a lot and he is so lucky to have you as a mom... you're such a special, talented, smart and loving woman. And you made good choices as a teen so I bet he's learned that from you. I gave up on nagging about things like bed making and chores... it wears me out! Sometimes they do things and sometimes they don't. I agree with the mother/daughter thing too... I think there should be a good balance between mothering and being accessible which is what I always wanted from my mom as a teen. I already had you as a best friend!