Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tornado Sirens

The spring of rain and tornado sirens. My kids have taken cover in school about a handful of times. Pumpkin was at lunch today. He took his lunchbox with him and ate it in the hallway. Last night, the sirens were on and off all evening. The weathermen have to be exhausted. I was pelted with hail on my way to work this morning. The rains were torrential.

Fortunately, we are all safe. The flooding is devastating to those around us.

Enough, Mother Nature!

The Mississippi River will crest in a couple weeks. It just might be a record. The river is so big and wide on a good day. I can't imagine it being even wider and bigger. Memphis hosts the Memphis is May Barbeque Fest every year at a park right on the banks of the river. There is talk that the river will be too high. Barge traffic could create "waves" that splash up into the park. As I was writing this, I thought of my favorite memories of the Mississippi. Memphis in May concludes with Sunset Sympony on the banks of the Mississippi. For years, Mr. Hyter sang Ol Man River. I heard him sing once and it had a lasting effect.


On a lighter note, Peanut has not gotten much soccer in. He is more than ready to play a game or two!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

We were just under a tornado watch up here too and expecting the storms. I'm so glad that you are safe and nothing bad has happened. I hope you guys do get some soccer games in. The fields are probably like sponges right now! Hang in there... I have a feeling the hot dry weather is around the corner!