Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cafeteria Duty Addendum


My time in the cafeteria flew by. The older kids are pretty self-sufficient. It is the younger ones that are still learning. Today, tacos were on the menu. Lots of extra napkins were needed. Something I had not given much thought to in the past is the ease of opening containers. Parents need to have a practice run with their kids to see if they can open the items they send in their lunch boxes. I know I am guilty of throwing a frozen Gogurt in - not realizing how hard those are to open. I was stumped, not once, but three times by juice pouches. I think they were Minute Maid. They aren't exactly the ones depicted in the picture. They are the kind where you insert the straw down from the top between the front and back of the pouch. I could not get them open. I resorted to scissors. How is a kindergartener expected to open them? A few spills occurred when pulling the top back on the prepackaged container of peaches or pears. Just something for parents to consider...

My son was excited to see me. As he was lined up to exit the cafeteria, I blew him a kiss from afar. He did not catch it! He just stood there embarrassed by his mom. Gotta love it!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

You bring up a really good point! I sent mac n cheese with Caroline in a tupperware container once, not realizing she would have trouble opening it. When she finally got the lid off, it all went flying across the floor!! Glad to hear that it went well... I'm sure you hit the target--it was just invisible. (He secretly loved it!)