Monday, August 13, 2007

School Days

It is hard to believe a new school year started today. The boys were nervously excited to begin a new year. There is the bittersweet ending of summer, but a new beginning. There is no comparison to learning something new. The mind is a wonderful thing and the boys' brains are eager to capture all they can.

I remember my 3rd grade class. I got the elderly teacher. She was fabulous. I loved exceeding her expectations. We mastered cursive writing and learned more math. My sister made the dress I had my picture taken in. I was fortunate to be the baby in the famiy, the recipient of lots of homemade items. In third grade, a neighbor friend was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. None of us knew what that was all about, but we learned. I hope good health remains with her today. I mastered reading chapter books. I went to the school library and started on one shelf checking the books out in order. It did not matter what they were about. I just wanted to read all the chapter books on that shelf. I still enjoy reading but not with that kind of determination or random selection.

We will have a 7th grader here at the house too. I don't remember too too much about that year. It was just one of those middle middle school years. The memories aren't bad. There just aren't any that stand out. My husband said that was when he had his first kiss. I know we aren't ready for that! On vacation this summer, our boys would still hold our hands as we explored. I treasured the feeling of my older son's hand in my hand as I know that will all stop soon.

The house is quiet now as the boys are well into their first day. The dog is sleeping. I miss them being here, but relish the opportunities a new school year brings. I hope to sign up for a class at the nearby university or enroll in one online. We need to renovate our bathroom. We spend so much time there. It would be a good investment to bring it up to date. I hope to exercise and started off with biking today. It is so hot here that it almost feels like the snowstorm days in PA. With the shades pulled to save the A/C, I'm motivated to work on some needlepoint. The holidays will be here before we know it. Anyway, I've taken the step out to set up a blog. It will be a great tool to keep track of what accomplishments I complete during this school year. Are there blog report cards out there somewhere? Just joking!

I intend for this blog to capture my dailly thoughts, ideas, or feelings. I am sure it will evolve as the days go by...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I am really looking forward to reading your blog regularly!!!! And I like the title (I get it!). You'll have to let us know if you decide to take a class... I've been thinking about that too (though I know college tuition is just down the road for the kids...ugh!) You need to put a photo of Buddy on here ;))