Thursday, May 28, 2009

Eighth Grade Promotion Ceremony

My Pumpkin graduated from 8th grade yesterday. The ceremony was very nice. He received a few honors. He got recognized for honor roll this year, honor roll all three years, presidential award, and the all west choir medal.

I grabbed my camera at the last minute. The lighting is awful. Here he is after he received his awards.

The 8th grade choir sang Embrace the Music. It was well done. I like the message of the song.

We snapped one shot before we headed to lunch to celebrate.

His middle school years flew by. As I reflected on the three years, these memories came to mind~

Pumpkin switched to the public school in 6th grade. It was quite a bigger larger than he was used to. I was so proud of him for stepping up and fitting in. He expanded his horizons trying new classes and associating with new people. He reunited with a friend from his tee ball days. They had moved from the area and came back. They continue their friendship today. I was very apprehensive with the school switch. It did not take long to calm my fears. I am so thankful we did it. Pumpkin is too.

In seventh grade, Pumpkin switched to chorus. He did not waste any time. He auditioned for All West successfully making it in 7th and 8th grades. There is something about music. It is healing. It is spiritual and the messages can be very powerful. I hope he takes that with him for the rest of his life.

In eighth grade, he ended up on a team with lots of folks he did not really know. He impressed his home room teacher right away receiving a few leadership honors from her. We are still sad that she moved in December. Pumpkin settled in and made new friends. The girls are on his radar screen or should I say his texting screen. He's been to one boy/girl party and is heading to another one this weekend. I am happy to say it still seems pretty innocent. As he says, he just happens to have some friends that are girls. I have watched him morph into a young man. I know more changes are coming. But, these are pretty dramatic. I feel more of an urge to pat him on the bag, analyze his hands, or stare at his face. They are changing all the time!

He has built a strong foundation. I pray it will be stable enough to carry him through the high school years. We'll all be here cheering him on. If only there was a way to slow the clock down. From what I hear, the next four years may go faster than these three.

Congratulations, Pumpkin!!

As a graduation gift, we gave him the book, Wicked, and tickets to see the show. It will be in Memphis in June/July. He was thrilled. All of us have to get the book read in the next month.
Image copied from http://www.wickedthemusical.com/page.php?#AboutWicked

No comments: