Saturday, May 9, 2009

IT is ALL about the FOOD!

I downloaded some recent shots realizing they are all pictures of food! I guess it is because I am a week and a half into an attempt to eat better food. I don't want to call it a diet, but I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds. I have a birthday coming up and want to start the year off feeling well. Anyway, I digress...

Last weekend is rained Saturday and Sunday. I recruited Peanut to help me make banana bread. I resort back to an old simple recipe. It was fun to have a helper. He did most of the work. We have a nut allergy preventing them from being added to the bread. Normally, I add chocolate chips. Peanut opted to leave the bread plain. The Big Guy's breakfast bread was quite yummy this week!

I even let Peanut break the eggs. That is a hard skill to teach. Some shell may have fallen in to the mix. Fortunately, we use a food processor to make it. The shells don't stand a chance to the Cruisanart. No one has tasted anything crunchy in the bread yet!

Look at how beautiful the loaves look. I think I'll keep him around to help me.

I used the mustard greens from the farmer in this recipe. It was very good. I am sure the bacon added something to it. The boys would not touch it. The Big Guy and I reheated it a few nights later. It still tasted good.

We picked up some shrimp from Costco last weekend. I am trying not to think about their carbon footprint. I think they came all the way from Thailand! Seafood is not the easiest thing to get living in the middle of the country. I marinated some veggies and the shrimp in a regular Italian dressing. I skewered them cooking them on the grill. This is a Becky meal. We used to have it quite a bit. Now that the weather is turning to summer, we may just eat this more often. I added the leftover veggies to mixed greens for lunch a few days. Yummy!

I saw this recipe and decided to try it. I think I cooked mine a bit too long. I was trying to time it for when the boys walked through the door. It was very hot! Everyone kept blowing and blowing in an effort to get it to cool off. The Big Guy liked it and ate it all. Peanut picked around it. I ate about half. I just could not get beyond the egg sitting there. I only started eating scrambled eggs a few years ago. If you need an economical impressive dish, this recipe just may do it. We had crusty bread on the side. That was the best - dipping the bread in the tomato/cheese mix.

This week I picked up CSA #3. It all looks wonderful. I think the strawberries are already history. I am not sure about the collard greens, but will do some research.

The turnip was included. I just forgot to include it in the picture:(

I think that is the end of the food pictures! Thanks for making it this far. I got a Mother's Day gift early from Peanut. He wrapped it all by himself.

They made these in class. At first, I thought I could use it for a coaster, but learned it is not sealed. I think I will just put it up on my dresser. I love it.

Happy Mother's Day to all! I am hiding my head from my mom as her gift is still on my knitting needles. I hope she understands. She will get a treat in the mail later in the week. The boys are out shopping for me right now. The Big Guy promised it was just something small. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. We are thinking about going to Fiddler on the Roof tonight as an early Mom's day event. It has gotten rave reviews and I want to see it. I'll let you know!

No comments: