Friday, May 15, 2009

Incarnation Memories and CSA #4

I picked up another sack of goodies from the farmer. The berries are about gone. We are having sweet potatoes tonight. I washed the greens and need to find a recipe for them. I need to find something for the bok choy too. I am excited to try something new.

Pumpkin attended the local Catholic school for elementary school. The school started in the year 2000. It has k-8 grades. The first set of kids that started in kindergarten are graduating from 8th grade today. The principal, Mrs. S., that started the school retired a few years ago. She came back into town for the graduation. Another teacher, now friend, hosted a little lunch and I got to see Mrs. S.

I sewed a few little gifts. The host has a beautiful garden where we dined in leisure. I picked up some basil from the farmer when I got my veggies. I whipped this little holder together to present the basil. I like how it turned out. If you look closely, you'll see that I sewed green ribbon in the center to tie the sides together. To be even more functional, I should have stuck cardboard in the bottom of the holder. Next time...time was of the essence!

As a side, the farmer said that the purple basil is slightly bitter. It makes a great partner with normal basil which yielded my pairing.

Mrs. S is a knitter. I whipped up another bag and got some sock yarn for her. It turns out she is not the biggest fan of socks. Maybe all this won her over! I think socks are great for car rides. They do take lots of time, but the pattern is not hard to master. I made another bag for a friend of mine that I have not seen in quite some time. Her bag was filled with lots of prayers. She has more going on in her life. I added some chocolates too - just for smiles.

I had a wonderful day! It was a lovely time. Mrs. S is a phenom person. It was great to see her. In addition, another teacher, Miss. Mary, surprised us. Miss. Mary was Pumpkin's kindergarten teacher. She was amazing but retired due to her husband's terminal cancer diagnosis. She moved to Cleveland. Seeing her added to the treat. It dawned on me that I should go get Pumpkin. Right before school ended, I checked him out and brought him back to the party.

Here he is with his old principal, his kindergarten teacher and his third grade teacher.

I am so thankful that I was included in this little get together. Those Incarnation days will always have a very special place in my heart. I had some wonderful friendships. I need to make sure I am better at staying in touch. Pumpkin was glad to see his teachers. Mrs. S made it clear that she was still taller than him! Too funny! I don't think it will be that way for long!!

No comments: