Sunday, May 3, 2009

CSA #2 for 2009


On Wednesday, I picked up my second bag of produce from the farmer. The Farmer's Market at the Botanic Gardens is now open! Spring is definitely here! We just did not get to enjoy much of it as it rained all weekend. That's another story. We were thrilled with our treats in our bag. We got sweet potatoes, onions, mustard greens, collard greens, strawberries and honey. The berries did not last long in the house. I made a recipe with the mustard greens that included bacon, corn meal, and onion. It was pretty good. We just could not convince the boys to take a bite.

The story of the honey was detailed in the farmer's email. I thought I'd copy it in here for you.

In case you guys didn't know we have bee hives on our property. Peace Bee Farms, out of Proctor, Arkansas, is owned and operated by Richard & Rita Underhill. They are two of the sweetest people you would ever want to meet. They keep bees the Amish way and use absolutely no synthetic materials when working with their bees. Richard is the president of the Tennessee Beekeepers Association and also keeps bees at the Memphis Botanic Garden. We truly feel blessed to have their hives out here at the farm. What started out as a simple experiment bloomed into something much more. Last year was a phenominal year for both farming operations, and wouldn't you guess that Peace Bee collected hundreds and hundreds of pounds of delicious honey from the hives located here! It was so exciting to witness throughout the growing season. This week you will be receiving honey that was made in our hives. You'll actually be tasting honey from the fruits of Whitton Farms labor! Hope you like it!

How cool is that? I just wish I liked honey. I have to find some folks who are really into it and see what they think.

Peanut had some friends over on Friday night. The boys went to a talent show at their school. The teachers do all the skits. It was very enjoyable. Other than that, we are trying to stay dry. Pumpkin had to volunteer at the local Fair on the Square yesterday. It rained the entire time. He was soaked by the time he got home. I feel sorry for the vendors. I can't imagine that many folks showed up. They say the rain is out of here tomorrow. I'll be cutting the grass. I know all this rain is making it grow rapidly!!! Have a good one!

No comments: