Friday, August 21, 2009

A Week of Variety

A took a step out and read this new book by James Patterson. I have to admit I like his writing style. The chapters are short. You can squeeze in a few when you have a couple minutes. The book kept my attention, but there are a few murders. I am in the summer's-hot-weather-is-moving-on kind of happy mood. So, I am moving on to some light-hearted fiction.

We had a bowl full of peaches left from the CSA from last week. I did some research on the internet. And, came up with this recipe. The Big Guy has a reaction of sorts to raw peaches. His mouth starts to feel itchy. He has the same issue with raw apples. If the fruit is cooked, he doesn't have a problem. I have to tell you. These muffins are wonderful! I followed the comments and added a 1/2 cup of milk to the recipe. I used 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat four (gotta sneak it in where you can.) I love the cinnamon. This recipe is a keeper. I imagine it would work for just about any fruit. The boys tried the muffins. They aren't big peach fans and just could not make it past that. Oh! Well! The Big Guy and I have enjoyed them.

With a house full of boys, I end up suffering through lots of sports. They are always checking to see what football is on. Even though it is preseason, they want to catch a glimpse. This past weekend I made them break out a game to play while we watched. The game, Sequence, is lots of fun and easy to play with four. I hope we get to pull it out again soon. I've taken a hiatus from the knitting. I need to pick that up as I have some gifts to make. Once I get on the knitting mission, I won't mind if the boys are watching football.

This week when I picked up my veggies there was another booth selling apples. I remembered this couple from last year. They are the best local apples. I don't remember what type they are. I just know we are going to enjoy them this week. An apple and some peanut butter make a great lunch!

It is official. The fall soccer season is underway! Peanut starts it all off with a tournament this weekend. The league games start next week. In honor of soccer, I switched Buddy's collar to the Spiffy Collar with soccer balls. I am waiting to see if the boys notice.

We are done with week two of school. I can say high school honors classes are a wake up call. Pumpkin is enjoying it but has to figure out how to study. Some of the stuff is really hard. His school day starts at 7am. He came home this afternoon and decided to rest for a few minutes. I am sure it is all very taxing for a growing teenager. Peanut had school pictures today - already! We are still trying to figure out his homework routine. In 5th grade, they switch teachers for two subjects. It makes it a bit more challenging trying to get to know those additional teachers. He loves his homeroom teacher and is settling in making buddies.

We are off for a weekend of soccer. The weather is supposed to be hot but bearable. We've got lots of jobs outside in the yard that are calling our names!

No comments: