Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two More Reads

I finished the book, The Winter of Our Disconnect, by Susan Maushart. What an interesting six months this family had. It was great to read that the family started playing more cards and board games. I enjoy 'em but my family prefers to do something that involves electronics.

I learned the difference between a digital native and a digital immigrant. It had me laughing. The Big Guy is a digital immigrant. When he got his iPad, he downloaded the "manual" to read about how to do everything. The digital native (our children) just forges ahead!
Without planning it, we are experiencing a bit of our own disconnect. The Big Guy took Pumpkin's phone and iPod. How nice it's been to have a son back:)

Yesterday, I should have been doing a 100 other things, but I got my head stuck in another book, The Dilemma, by Albert Cutie.

This book affected me more than I ever expected it to. It made me ask myself lots of questions and think about what the Church teaches and what I feel. This book is about finding love. However, there were major obstacles in the way. I appreciated the story. It left me with some action items of my own and things that I want to follow up on. One of the obvious themes is that priests are people too. They aren't beings of some higher power. I need to remember that when I interact with them. There are lots of controversies in this book. It would be so interesting to listen to an open discussion about all of them. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen in my lifetime.

On to the next book, something a bit lighter...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Good picks! I think I need to read the first one as I look at my kids on either side of me on their iPod and Smart Phone, while I'm on my laptop and we're all supposedly watching tv too!!! Yikes! I'm so tired of technology sometimes. I did hear that priest speak. I believe that a priest's job is so full that it would not be fair to a spouse or a family because a husband and father are called to be leaders of their own families first. That is a lot of responsibility and that's why in Protestant churches you see a lot of "preacher's kids" who have had to share dad (or mom) with the congregations and have not gotten enough attention. None of us can do everything and do it well. We all have to make a choice and I respect priests so much for making theirs. Now, if men want to serve the Church and have a family, they can become Deacons. I don't have a problem submitting to the structure of the Church which has lasted longer than most organized religions.