Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Boys' Lunches

My boys all take their lunches. After a week back to school, I have to say I am back into the routine of packing their lunches every morning. Yes. The Big Guy is spoiled. But, he deserves every bit of it!

I try to minimize the impact their lunches have on the environment. We bought two of these Kleen Kanteens. They are personalized with the boys' names on them. Who knew they would be so excited to take these in their lunches. I think they get this environment thing - sometimes! I hope to purchase beverages in bulk minimizing the waste from the individual containers. Pumpkin takes chocolate milk from the gallon container. Peanut takes tea, crystal light, water, or lemonade. Because we only have one for each child, the container has to come out of the backpack and get washed every day. It hasn't been a problem at all.

We don't have sandwich bags in the house anymore! Last year, I bought our first snackTAXI bags. I can't say enough about them. I turn them inside out and drop them right into the laundry. Easy and reusable!

I volunteer at the middle school in the lunch room. It bothers me how much waste is generated. They recycle cans only. All the utensils are plastic. They do have a trash compactor which has to help.

Our actions are just small small steps which are pretty easy to do. My hope is the cummulative effect will help just a bit!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Sounds like you could start something in the cafeteria with all that plastic! (Or slyly convince the kids to) ... It's been years since I've been in the cafeteria but I'm thinking it's the same at our school. My kids just drink water for lunch... we're that cheap!