Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Birthday & Sweet Send Off

This year I had to work on my birthday, but just half a day.  When I walked out of the office, I realized Pumpkin had been busy!!  It was such a nice treat.  He was thrilled that he surprised me.
It had me grinning all day.  I promptly cleaned it off the next day - not the easiest to clean off!
When I walked in the house from work, I asked them what smelled so good.  They both said, "nothing."  I knew it was something but did not want to spoil their surprise.  It turns out it was a special birthday cake.  They even made homemade icing, my preferred kind.  And, they only put a small amount on the cake as I am not a big icing fan.  The boys bought me a card.  I laughed as they forgot to get the envelope when they bought it!
The day after my birthday, we had a SWEET Send Off Celebration for Pumpkin.  We rented a local cheesecake place down on the town square.  We had cheesecake, fruit, cake, water, tea and lemonade.  A woman I work with had her brother make these cakes.  He did the seal by hand.  Very impressive!
There were swimmers, high school kids and parents at the party.  The Big Guy put together a 15 minute slide show chronicling Pumpkin's life.

Here are the swimmers.  These kids are like family.  One was out of town.  Pumpkin grabbed a picture of the out of town boy on his cell phone to make it seem like he was there with them.  Two of the boys in the picture left the next day to report to the Naval Academy.  One boy is going to be a senior this year.  The pool is going to be different for him without his buddies.
Peanut out did himself in the art department.  I asked him to make signs to hang outside the shop.  This is what he came up with.  Sometimes!  He is talented but could not be bothered.  We all know there probably isn't too much about Swab Summer that is fun!
I had the idea for Pumpkin to make his girlfriend a friendship bracelet in the Coast Guard Academy Colors.  Guess who ended up doing most of it?  Neither one of them really wanted to talk about the separation.  Who would?  I don't know what will become of them, but pray they have fond memories.
Leading up to his actual Report in, I had my moments.  I was nervous about the party as I wasn't sure I could hold it all together.  But, I did it!  The party was relaxing.  The kids enjoyed it and we got to visit with lots of folks.  The Commander that gave Pumpkin his certificate even stopped in.  I was thrilled with the turn out as summer can be a challenge working around vacation schedules.

As I type this, I can't believe Pumpkin's been at the Academy for 9 days already!  As you would expect, there will be lots more to come on that...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That was really great that the boys made your birthday special! And the party looked like it was very successful (now I'm craving cheesecake!). I am looking forward to your posts about how its all going! I'm sure its going to be a big change for Peanut-- his big brother has gotten all of the attention but its going to be really different for him to have to be without his brother for the first time in his life. He still has all of his great high school memories to create!