Monday, July 8, 2013

Hearst Castle

One of the touristy things we did was visit Hearst Castle.  We used it as an excuse to drive down CA 1.  Wow!  The views were breathtaking as were the hairpin turns.  We were in some rental sedan.  Boy!  A convertible would have been ideal!

I love the colors in the following photo.  The Big Guy snapped it from the passenger window as we were driving.
 More beauty...



Pretty close to San Simeon are the elephant seals.  They were a hoot.  They were just about extinct in 1990.  Fortunately, they've made a comeback.
For the castle tour, you get a ticket at the visitor's center.  By way of bus, you are transported up to the house.  We took the standard tour.  In actuality, you don't get too see too much.  It is amazing that this was all started in the 1930's.
 On the way up the hill...
My camera battery died at the castle right after snapping this photo.  When I saw this sculpture, I immediately thought of my two boys.  They did wrestle with each other, but all in good fun!
The Big Guy bought the book, Chief, all about William Randolph Hearst.  He is currently reading it.  It is epic, but he says it is still interesting.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I can't get over how pretty your photos are! Your trip was really incredible... I'd love to know what you learn about W.R. Hearst! And those seals were probably really fun to watch! We saw them at the docks in San Francisco and I couldn't get over that they are just wild, sunbathing right in front of everyone!