Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Day Before

We stayed near the Hartford airport and drove down in time for mass at the Chapel on Sunday morning.  The boy who did the readings is Pumpkin's company commander.  We did not find that out until later in the day.  None of the cadets were in uniform at mass.  We left mass with a good feeling in our hearts.

We used Yelp and searched for a breakfast place.  It was a small place with picnic tables outside.  My cousin, who I hadn't seen for year, was in the area.  She ended up using Yelp, driving to the same place and joined us for breakfast.  It worked out great as we did not think we'd get to meet up with them.
We checked into the hotel and headed back to the Academy for the Open House and some socials.  It is hard to look at those curls  - - as they are no more!

Through a convoluted list of friends, we knew of this boy and his family.  It was fun finally meeting.  Both are swimmers and seem to be building a friendship (as much as I can tell from the pictures we see.)
We got to eat dinner in the Ward Room, dining hall.  Surprisingly, I enjoyed the festivities.  It was wonderful to meet other parents.  The network is impressive as we are all in this together.
 The mascot...Go Bears!
At the swim team ice cream social, the swimmers appeared to instantly bond.  There is something about the chlorine these kids must thrive on!  It is a big recruiting class.  Look closely at how clean that tile is!
I have to say I did great through it all until I got my goodnight hug.  Pumpkin came to me and gave me a big 'ol hug.  I admit.  I am tearing up now as I type this.  I do miss him.  But, I am so proud of him.  The opportunities that await are amazing!
And, to mark the occasion, I took a picture of the boys sharing a bed.  We are so blessed to have two boys that don't mind sharing.  Yes.  One steals the covers and one twitches when he sleeps.  But, they get over it.
Believe it or not, we all slept well.  We were all up bright and early as we did not want to be late for Reporting In!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

There's a lot more girls there than I expected. It's great that there is so much to be a part of at the beginning for the families. I guess this is not only a time of growing for him, but for all of you. (And now I'm considering moving with the kids when they go to college!!! Just kidding. I am going to be a mess!!!)