Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What a Day:)

We are trying to do our part and take advantage of the "cooler" weather. We are using our windows. Lately, it has been cool enough and there has been a nice breeze. I love to feel the air blow through the house. I savor these days as it will soon heat up making A/C a necessity. Last night, we fell asleep with the bedroom windows open. At 3 am, I woke up to the sound of pouring rain. I did not even bother checking the direction of the rainfall. I just stumbled to the windows and shut them. That was the start of my day. I felt like I tossed and turned until the alarm went off.

As I forced myself out of bed, I remembered that today was treat day at work for the Big Guy. I had made a grocery list yesterday, but never made it to the grocery! My first thought was to run to the store before the rest of the house woke up. I did not have enough time. I went to the kitchen searching through the frig and the pantry for an idea. It jumped right out at me! I decided to make Baby Butterball Biscuits from the Memphis Junior League Heart and Soul cookbook. (It is a wonderful cookbook if you are looking for a new one.) I was able to mix up the biscuits in between making lunches, driving Pumpkin to the bus stop, and walking the dog in the pouring down rain. The biscuits, strawberry rhubarb preserves and apple butter were ready to go just about the time the Big Guy was ready to walk out the door. As he was walking out the door, I noticed Pumpkin forgot his lunch. The Big Guy said that he did not want to get wet taking his son's lunch to school. Did I mention that school is right down the street from work? It did not even phase me. I said that I would take the lunch in after I took Peanut to school. Forgetting lunch is not a habitual thing. I know my son is very picky and I wanted to make sure he had food in him for his afternoon swim practice.

My day continued at a pretty uneventful pace. I postponed my voice lesson as all the end of the year activities are affecting my mastering of Italian. I got to the grocery in my work out clothes thinking I might make it out on my bike. I should know better. I saw two people I have not seen in years. Doesn't it always work that way? By the time I got the groceries unloaded, it was about time for the boys to come home. One wasn't in the door two seconds without spilling a drink all over the kitchen floor. I am grateful he is old enough to clean it up as I was running out the door to get the other one to the orthodontist. I felt guilty that I lost my cool - for a minute - during all that. I apologized to him when we got home.

I started on dinner, tacos. They are favorite enjoyed by the entire family. I was browning the meat and cutting up the lettuce when my wonderful husband walked through the door with these.

I don't get these kind of surprises very often. I have to improve my initial response. I looked at him and asked what the flowers were for. Inside, I was very happy.

Then, he handed me a stack of cards. They were all written out to me. I could not believe it. His team wrote me thank you notes for the biscuits. I loved it!

I am not sure what story he told about my morning. I think he coated it on thick making it look worse than it was. I don't think he wants folks to know he has a soft side! I was touched by the gratitude and impressed that someone had a stash of thank you cards in their desk!

The day is ending on a wonderful note.

Now, if I could just get a foot massage from the Big Guy. It would be perfect!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow... I was feeling really bad for you, but now am so happy that everyone appreciated what you did! It is easy to take things we do for granted. You have a great family :)