Friday, September 26, 2008

CSA #2

I picked up my second CSA half order on Wednesday afternoon from Jill & Keith at Whitton Flower & Produce. They come to the farmer's market at the Memphis Botanic Gardens every week on Wednesday afternoons. This week their email was a teaser. They did not list what would be in the order. It was a surprise! My life is pretty simple if I am getting excited about what fruits and veggies will be in my order.

I have rearranged my week moving the grocery shopping to end the of the week. That way I get to plan the menus around what goodies I pick up on Wednesday.

This week I forgot to take a picture of the order. The bag was filled with basil, radishes, sweet potatoes, peaches, arugula and green peppers. All of it looks great. I stopped at another booth and bought some green tomatoes and some local apples. Yum!

I love to cook and am making a valiant effort to use as much as the produce as possible. Last night for dinner, I made this salad. It was amazing. I used the fresh cucumber, tomatoes, basil, and radishes. I added some fresh lettuce to part of the left overs and scarfed it down for lunch today.

This was dinner last night. Peanut tried the salad and liked it! Pumpkin would not let any of it touch his plate.

Here is a close up view of the left overs.

While I was in the kitchen, I thawed the frozen bananas and made two loaves of banana bread. I added the mini chips to the top. These are the prettiest loaves I have made in a long time.

I used the peaches I got and made a peach cobbler. It was pretty good with a little vanilla ice cream on it. I think the best way to eat peaches is peeled and sliced - just the way they are.

Did you notice the great plates in the first picture of the salad? I got a set of six of these plates at a consignment sale. I welcome the chance to serve dinners on them. I may change up the place mats. The colors look great but the size is not right with my new pottery plates. They are Frankoma pottery plates made in Oklahoma.

I've got a recipe for linguine, argula, and parmesan to try on Sunday night. I hope the arugula keeps that long. Also, I am making a sweet potato and apple bake early next week. You just might see pictures of those too!

Have a good weekend! The Big Guy and Peanut are heading to a soccer tournament. Pumpkin and I are holding down the fort here. I have a list a mile long and hope to squeeze in some more sewing!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Becky, you are making me SOOO hungry!!! Everything looks wonderful!! I printed out that salad recipe and I just love your new plates! Can I just come down there right now and help you eat all of that?!! Good for you for buying fresh and local! We have been loving fresh sliced peaches this year too!