Friday, September 5, 2008

Just a Bit of Sewing

As of late, I've been intrigued with bags and decided to try my hand at making some. I explored the free patterns on this wonderful web going down the grocery bag route. I waited until the kids were back in school and brought all the sewing stuff out in the guest room. My machine resides on a table in the guest room closet.

Here are my two creations using the fabric I purchased from Ikea ~

The bag on the left was made following this pattern. I was pleased with the end result considering it was my first bit of sewing in quite some time. The bag on the right was made following this pattern. I was so impressed with myself. I had to piece scraps of fabric together to get the liner to work out. I felt very satisfied not letting any fabric go to waste. I think I like the bag on the right better. These two are going to be gifts. We'll see how well they are received.

I have to keep thinking of what to do with fabric. I recently participated in a swap organized by Katie. I got all my squares in the mail today. They are wonderful. Thanks for organizing it Katie! It is a bit intimidating as I am novice sewer and a totally inexperienced quilter.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Hi Becky!
I have my hand up for the one on the right!! I love it! You did a great job.
Love you,
Joyce

Bethany said...

I LOVE your bags!! I'm so impressed! Can we put in orders?? I guess you are quite a sewer. You must have gotten your mother's talent. ;)
All that fabric looks like so much fun! I am using a free Amy Butler pattern for my (ahem) quilt. (or for my piles of fabric rectangles that might someday be a quilt!). And I have never done one so sometimes just leaping in, naively, is the way to go. You could make quilt placemats if you didn't want to do a big one first. Or a fun toy for your niece's baby for Christmas!