Monday, September 22, 2008

Summer's Over!

Where did the summer go? We are well into the school routine and summer has been gone for the boys for weeks. Peanut reminded me that at 10:44 am cst marks the beginning of fall! I am ready. I am ready for the hot weather to subside. We've had some beautiful ones here lately. I am ready for the trees to pop full of color. We are seeing just a few red leaves on our maple tree.

What DID I do this summer?

First of all, I made it to the 1000 mile mark on my bike! I got the new bike just about a year ago. It is an accomplishment for me to put that many miles on it. Half of those miles have been added since the beginning of July. I am trying to make it a priority working it in four days a week. I keep waiting for it to get easier!

I was a reading machine this summer. I finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Folliet about three weeks ago. It is a wonderful read. I felt like I really knew the characters. I've heard the next book in the sequence may be even better. I am not sure if I will tackle that. I need to take a reading break in order to get some other things done!

I signed up to join a CSA. The CSA stands for Community Supports Agriculture. You can google search it for participating farmers in your area. For ten weeks, I will meet a farmer at the market and receive an array of fresh vegetables and fruit. The goodies vary depending on what the farmer has. We decided to just do a half order and see how it goes. Here is my first order that I picked up last week.

The peaches were wonderful. I cooked them up and made peach popovers. I haven't used puff pastry. Wow! How easy it was. I am a fan and may use it more. The kids weren't brave enough to give these a try. The Big Guy and I enjoyed them. I put a few in the freezer for the future.

I used the tomatoes to make tomato pie. It is made in a pie crust with tomatoes, basil and cheese. It was great. It doesn't look the best. I forgot to take a picture before we cut into it. I think the left overs will be yummy too.

Tonight I am going to use the apples to make a stuffed apple/chicken breast recipe. I hope to use the rest of the veggies in a big tossed salad. There is something special about eating food just picked. It makes it taste even better!

I've gotta update my blog page for fall. I spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with a counter for my bike odometer. I haven't come up with the best option. I may just have to explore doing some of my own html. Right!

My family members were without power for quite a few days due to Ike blowing its way through the Midwest. I am glad everyone is back online and able to turn on their lights. I know it was a trying week.

Here's to wonderful summer memories and lots of fall to look forward too!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did something similiar but the veggies were delivered to our house. We loved it! It was so nice getting a variety of veggies and ones we'd never had before. It was great.

Bethany said...

Congratulations on all those bike miles! I've been watching your list! You have to have strong legs to do all of that! Your food looks really delicious too! Can you send me the recipe for your tomato pie? You're so much better than I am at trying new recipes. I tend to just do the same old thing with my produce.
My Dad and Glenda got home on Monday from our place and realized the refrigerator was broken. I don't know if it was because of the power problems. At least their freezer was working and that's where most of the food was! They didn't have any real damage to their house, thank goodness!