Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009 - The Year Ahead!



Last weekend we had dinner at my inlaws. They noticed Pumpkin's rate of growth. He is almost as tall as Nana! I think it is a pretty safe bet that she will be looking up to him sometime this year. It makes me wonder what else this year has in store. I am not making specific resolutions, but have lots of ideas in my head~

Simplify. Over the past year, I've made a valiant effort get the clutter out of our activities. Advice from friends of older children says that Pumpkin will enjoy our company for the next year or so. Then, it will get a bit rocky. We are trying to block out time to do just that. For this upcoming year, I want to appreciate the simplicity. In these times of excess, it is nice to take our pulse and evaluate what is really necessary.

Create. I am so grateful for the time I have to try new things. My list of things to make grows longer. I want to be a better knitter. I want to complete knitting projects I have in my head. I want to try my hand at sewing some new things. I have a shower curtain to finish. I have lots of other crafty things. This year I vow to dwindle down the supplies I have. I'd like the share the craftiness with the boys. Peanut would be all for it. We can start with the wood burning kit he got for Christmas. We need to accomplish one major project around the house. I don't know what it will be yet. It may be indoors. It may be outdoors. At the end of the year, I want to say we improved this place we call home.

Apply. Each week I create a menu and head to the grocery store. This year I want to use the library of cookbooks I have to create the menu. I am thinking of referencing one book each week. It may give us a glimpse of a region of the country. Or, it may give us a taste of something new. It will make me simplify my collection. I am sure there are books that aren't worth keeping on the shelves. I want to learn more of the features of this Mac and of my iphone. We have the technology and I want to get the most out of it. I have quite a few books by my bedside. I hope to make my way through not only them but more. We have a wonderful four-legged dog and I want to work on training him to become a therapy dog.

Reuse. In this green movement, I hope to get more out of what we have. That may mean reselling items on Craigslist. It may mean using the fabric in old clothes to create something new. It may mean using dishes instead of paper. We've weaned ourselves off of plastic water bottles. I don't even buy them anymore. I'd like to do some thrift store or garage sale hunting. Historically, I haven't had the patience to search for items. This year I'd like to allocate time and give it a try. It'd be great to find some "treasures" to add character to the house.

Grow. I plan on exercising so I don't grow out this year! During these cold months, I will take the dog for a daily long morning walk. Throughout the year, I want to grow internally. Spiritual growth is high on the agenda. I am currently reading the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I listened to his last lecture on YouTube some time ago. He makes so many good points in his book. The challenge comes in applying it to real life. The book is making me think and will make me grow toward living my life in the moment.

Lots of these thoughts are just that - thoughts. I toil with placing measurements on them. As the boys grow physically this year, I will be able to reflect on how my year is progressing. I know one thing. I want it go by at a very slow pace. Me elders warned me that as you age, time flies even faster. I feel it. I want to cherish each day of 2009!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I think I need to post your goals for the year! They are all really good ones... and achievable! I have the same thing going on here with Nathaniel too... he's growing so fast and he eats so much!!