Sunday, August 24, 2014

First Cross Country Meet 2014

The Jamboree was yesterday.  Peanut decided he was going to go full out and see if he could hold it.  He was very strong until about the 2.5 mile mark.  It was so hot too!  We were in the high 90s with humidity.
He has never pushed himself this hard.  He ended up taking 4th, but the finish was not pretty.  It was quite dramatic for this mom.  He started swaying about 20 feet from the finish.  He made it and just about collapsed.  I was pretty composed, but feel sick now as I think about it.  He ended up requiring medic attention.  There was another runner on the stretcher.  Once they got her off, he laid down on it.  They did not give him fluids as he does not like needles at all and would have passed out from that.
I felt like I ran a 10K.  I was soaked from head to toe and am still recuperating today.  It is just too much stress!  Now, he knows to pace the first mile and push the next two.

When he was released from the ambulance, the newspaper reporter kept talking to him.  I finally rolled down my window saying the car was cooled off and ready for him to get into the a/c.
This boy of mine puts lots of pressure on himself.  I guess it is a great trait to have.  My prayer is for cooler weather.  He runs again on Saturday night.  I'm trying to decide what I have to drink before I go to watch.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow... that probably was more like running in 100º temps! I'm glad he was okay. He has to make sure he hydrates all day, the day before (he probably knows that already!). My guys ran the Reebok Super Spartan Race in Virginia yesterday-- they said it was lightly raining on and off which cooled it down a little, but also made it muddy!! It was 8 miles with 20 obstacles on the side of a ski slope. I didn't even go to watch! I just don't have that desire but they loved it and want to do another. I am hoping for cooler weather too, for everyone! Cross country starts here now too. (And soccer tomorrow!)