Friday, August 8, 2014

Visiting Nana & Pa

After church on Sunday morning, we headed to see The Big Guy's parents.  I snapped this picture with Nana as we waited for Pa to get up from his nap.  All is good in their world.
I don't know if I've mentioned it here that the Big Guy's mom suffers for Alzheimer's.  It is a horrible disease.  If there is a bright side, Nana is in a happy place.  Recently, I walked into Macy's to look at their selection of bathing suits.  It took me right back to a trip to Macy's, years ago,  shortly after we moved here.  Nana and I went to the store.  We ended up trying on suit after suit.  Both of us walked away with new suits to wear.  Who knew I would reflect on that shopping trip with such positive memories.  It was one time when she actually bought something and was excited to wear the suit to the pool and the beach.  Again, this disease is a tough one on family members as you just can't share the memories.

It has taught us quite a bit, though.  You have to live for the moment.  I pray I can do more of that without the worries associated with everyday life. 

1 comment:

Bethany said...

You are a great daughter-in-law! She looks so happy to have her guys there to see her. I know Bryan Young dealt with the same things with his mom and he could relate. It is heart-wrenching.