Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Room Reveal

It all started on Presidents' Weekend in 2013.  Pumpkin was out of town for a swim meet.  I gathered up all his swim tshirts from his entire swimming career and started cutting.  I decided to cut plain squares keeping it all very simple.  If there was any chance that I was going to sew a quilt, it had to be simple.  I got all the shirts cut and sized.  And, I determined some sort of pattern.  Then, the rows sat in the playroom closet.

Fast forward to the fall of 2013 and we are cleaning out my mom's house.  My sister, the very talented seamstress, told me to send the squares her way and she'd try her hand at sewing her first tshirt quilt.  After lots of time and talent, the quilt was completed this spring.

Pumpkin was still at the Academy.  Peanut had taken over his "old" room.  We decide to officially change up the boy's rooms.  I wanted the quilt to be the focal point in Pumpkin's room.  So, we tried our hand at building our own headboard.  It was a fun weekend and a new creative project.


By the time we got the headboard built, it was too hot in the garage to paint.  So, the headboard took over some space in the kitchen for a week or so.  It was my first time to use chalk paint.  I starting with a layer of charcoal and added the blue on top.  Then, I distressed it in places so the darker color showed through.  It was all pretty easy.

We moved all of Pumpkin's stuff down and Peanut's stuff up.  I bought new sheets, a new bed skirt and a couple other things.  I really tried to use items we had on hand.  Here is the end result -
Coast Guard Academy swimming is front and center in the quilt.  If you use your imagination, the squares are in a sort of diamond pattern via color.  The quilt is enormous.  Note to self - cut smaller squares if I ever do one again.

I found this dog print on target.com.  I had no idea they had the art selection they have.  The picture of the flag is one I took when we met up with Pumpkin in Miami.  He was raising that flag and lost his cap in the water.
For the first time ever, we added a TV to the bedroom.  We figured he would enjoy that luxury. (I know he has.  I find him on the bed watching all different kind of things!)

 Buddy made himself right at home.  Now that Pumpkin is home, Buddy doesn't bat an eye about jumping up on the bed and making himself comfortable next to Pumpkin.
I think Pumpkin likes the quilt and his room.  He spent lots of time the first night looking at all the shirts and reminiscing.  He has invested many years in swimming!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, I think that quilt is the greatest thing ever!! And I know he'll be glad you made it so big (everything always seems too small, especially when you're tall!). His room looks amazing and I can't believe you built that headboard! Now you have me wondering what I could pull off. I wish now that I'd saved Nathaniel's tee's because he would have loved that. Your sister did a spectacular job sewing it because I think knits are harder to sew straight. He's going to end up wanting to move back in with you guys when he graduates! ;)