Thursday, April 24, 2008

They Flew the Coup!

A few weeks ago, I posted about the robin sitting on the nest in the Crepe Myrtle outside our front door. We watched her day after day. We knew there were two eggs in the nest, but weren't sure how they were doing. One day last week I saw the Momma bird feed two birdies. I stood at the door and watched her bring food to them. On Sunday, I got brave and brought the ladder out. Momma was off finding food - I guess. Those two birds were quite instinctual. They were up in the nest until they heard the ladder. I stayed pretty far away as I did not want to terrorize them. As soon as they heard the ladder, they got as small as they possible could and sunk down into the next. I snapped one photo.



The very next morning, Buddy and I were rounding the corner for home. I saw something hop out of the corner of my eye. The birds were learning how to fly. One hopped up onto the truck across the street. I don't know where they ended up. The nest is empty. We hope they were able to spread their wings and really fly. We miss the entertainment of watching nature right outside our door!

No comments: