Friday, January 7, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks


Picture from http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294451149&sr=8-1

This is my first read for 2011.

Wow! This book made me think. It does so with a compelling story paralleled by the scientific advances.

We recently went to the Civil Rights Museum. So, I started the book purely focusing on the potential acts of discrimination whether they were racial and/or economical. Further into the book, the scientist in me marveled at how revolutionary the HeLa cells were and still are. By the end, I appreciated the insight and was extremely grateful to the Lacks family.

Scientific research is necessary. Thank you, HeLa!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I just read more about the book on amazon and that's amazing! I wonder why didn't learn about this in high school? Or is this newer information? I would hope that it wasn't just economical motivation but I am an idealist.

Ceska said...

It's a story that not many people know about. Stockett kept me emotionally involved in this beautifully written book where science, cures and profit come into direct contact with poverty, race and betrayal. This WILL be a book you will talk about and recommend to others.