Monday, March 17, 2008

What Were They Thinking?

Normally, I am a citizen that goes with the flow. Today, was a different story. It is the boys first day of spring break and a day of nice weather. The rain and flooding are headed our way. I prodded the boys to turn off the TV and go on a bike ride with me. We've done this ride many times in the fall and early winter. We essentially ride connecting the "trails" through our city of Collierville. We go from 8 to 10 miles at an easy pace with the little guy leading! He would not have it any other way!!

We got to one of the larger parks heading to the trail that takes you back to the little river and this is what we saw

I just could not believe it said no bikes. I have to confess. I acted like I did not see it and continued on the trail. It is 0.7 miles
out to the river. About halfway, a man looked up and said that we obviously did not see the sign that no bikes are allowed. Keep in mind there are some bypasses built into the trail. We did not even go past this man and we sped up so we would not interfere with his walk. I could not believe it and told him that I was heartbroken not understanding why walkers and bikers could not share the path. After all, we are a suburb of one of the fattest cities in the USA. Do I need say more? We only saw three walkers and one was a friend of mine. On the way off the path, three older walkers said something again about no bikers allowed. I don't know what got into me, but I spoke up again. We are just innocent law abiding bikers. We notify walkers we are coming and have even stopped walking our bikes to get by. It really upset me.

When we got home, I called the Parks and Recreation folks. They passed me off saying it was just a city law for the signs to go up. I emailed the mayor and an alderman that I know proposing some alternative solutions. We'll see what happens. I don't think I can move mountains. I just know how much I have enjoyed this trail. The trail is in place and I just want everyone to enjoy it:)

I am not sure if it is something in the spring air, but I felt like I needed to speak out!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I honestly can't think of any paths we've ever been on that didn't allow for bikers too. We have lots of bikers around Lancaster and I always get scared for them when they have to be out with car traffic. That's just dangerous! I think if enough people who biked spoke up, then they might consider it. Is it YOUR tax dollars helping to maintain this path?? Then you should have some input into how you think it should be used.