Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Days Off School

The boys had Monday and Tuesday off from school. It made for a nice long weekend.

Peanut had a few friendly soccer games on Sunday. His team did a great job. They had a few guest players from another team. It is amazing what one additional talented player can do. Peanut had some excitement. He scored his first goal this season! He is an unselfish mid-fielder with a give-n-go strength. His coach has been working with him to continue to pass, but see if there is an open opportunity. He did just that! We don't have any pictures - just good memories.

We had my in-laws over for dinner on Sunday evening. Pumpkin set the table and captured it on my phone. We forgot to capture the meal. I kept trying to convince him to choose different placemats. I think they clashed with the walls. As you can see, I did not win that discussion.

I made chili and cornbread. It was perfect for the chilly weather that is settling in. This is the second time I made this chili. It is one you can do in the crockpot. The boys love it and the leftovers serve us for a few more meals.

THREE BEAN CHILI
2 lbs ground beef
2 medium onions, diced
16 oz. jar medium salsa
2 pkgs dry chili seasonings (I used the Kroger low sodium)
2 16 oz. cans kidney beans, drained
2 16 oz. cans black beans, drained
2 16 oz. cans white kidney or garbanzo beans, drained
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
16 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp sugar

Brown beef and onion in skillet. Combine all ingredients in a 6 qt slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve with chopped raw onion and/or shredded cheddar cheese.


On Monday, we forged ahead with cleaning the garage. We hope to have a garage sale raising money for some leadership opportunities Pumpkin wants to pursue. Perhaps, we will have it as early as this Saturday. I don't want to spend money on advertising. We'll see if we can get all the other stuff out of the house and ready to sell. The boys were a big help and the garage looks amazing.

In the afternoon I baked up some Cinnamon Cookies. I saw them on another blog and finally got around to whipping some together. Be forewarned! These are great cookies. The comments recommend doubling the batch to have more. I'd agree with that as they quickly disappeared. I am going to refrain from making more as I don't want the temptation to eat them.


I was working on some sewing projects when Peanut wandered into the sewing room yesterday afternoon. He wanted to help me make a crayon roll. I did not have enough of any fabric that he liked. So, he helped me make one for our friends abroad. These are the cutest things and they are simple. Peanut helped me calculate the size adjustments for a colored pencil roll. I put that one together this morning. It is not perfect. I am going to play with the dimensions a bit on that. If you look closely, you will see that I used some of my squares from my quilt swap for the pencil roll.

We headed to Hancock's to get some fabric that Peanut does like. I now have an even longer sewing list:) We've been home for about an hour and Peanut keeps asking when I am going to get started. Guess I better finish this post. Then, I have to guide Pumpkin to write a letter and a paper. He has this free day and needs to get it all behind him! Why does he like to procrastinate? It gets my goat!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh, procrastination is my son's middle name!!!! Luckily his grades don't show it! Thanks for your chili recipe... it sounds really good! I usually do Cincinnati Chili but I like all the different beans in yours. And those cookies look especially delicious too!