Friday, November 7, 2008

Flowers For Algernon


Photo copied from here.

I finished this book last night just in time for the field trip with the eighth graders today.

This book is thought provoking. My mother worked with "special" kids for many years. I hope I have always treated them like human beings. The book is classified as science fiction, a subject that is not normally one of my favorites.

The field trip was to the local high school to see The Flowers for Algernon musical. I think reading the book and watching the performance, I was intrigued by how this science fiction book was turned into a musical. They did a remarkable job. I was very impressed with the talent of the high schoolers. I wonder if Pumpkin will pursue something like this when he gets there. He definitely has the voice.

Pumpkin thought the show was okay. The entire 8th grade went to the show. They were on their best behavior.

If you get the chance give the book a read.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I've always been aware of this book, but I don't think I've ever read it. I was surprised that they turned it into a musical! That's great that the 8th graders got to see the drama club. I was thinking of going to our high school play this year so the kids could see what it's all about. I remember seeing The Sound of Music at GHS when we were in Middle School and being in awe of the older kids!! That's great you could go with them AND you read the book... what a great mom! ;)