Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reading Pillow Birthday Present

Peanut was invited to a birthday party on Sunday. It was for a boy in his class. The theme of the party was tailgating. I thought that was very creative and easy for a bunch of 4th grade boys. The parents graduated from Ohio State. I tried to get some Buckeye fabric but they don't license any. Peanut picked out some football fabric thinking it would be good enough. I went to work on the reading pillow. I picked up a book by Mike Lupica at the friends of the library bookstore and off he went to the party.

I am making quite a few pillows these days. It is amazing the personality they take on - all based on the fabric. I need to whip up another one for a party this weekend. This boy loves Alabama and that fabric is easy to come by. I actually ordered online and and am crossing my fingers that it gets here in time. I am bracing myself for a late Friday night!

I made another simple tote from 16 squares I received from the quilt squares swap. It turned out pretty good and very soothing in the light colors. I used fusible interfacing inside and on the handles. I have so many other things I should have been working on. But, the beautiful turquoise thread was in the machine. I could not take it out. So, I chose squares and completed a project all around the thread. The tote will become one of may "happies" this holiday season.

We spent lots of the weekend purging drawers. All nooks and crannies in the house are up for inspection. We are going to have a garage sale. All the extra stuff needs to GO! I have a bit more to go through in the attic and two more closets. I mounded all the stuff up on one side of the garage. I need to buckle down and figure out how to organize it all. If I get my act together, I may just have the sale this Saturday.

In the process of cleaning the attic, I came across Thomasina Turkey. My mom made this for me years ago. She nestled right in on the mantle. Believe it or not, when I catch a glimpse of her it makes me stop and remember all that I have to be grateful for:)

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love the turkey!! I wish now that your mom could have taught me to sew when we were growing up. Your reading pillows are turning out great! And imagine... another Buckeye fan in the neighborhood! We get so excited when we meet OSU fans out here. We are surrounded by Penn State alumni. Did you know you could upload your photos of the reading pillows to the flickr group of them? Maybe you already have? I did that with the one I sewed. It's fun to see what everyone does with them! You're also really good at these totes. I wish you were near so you could help me with my curtains... I'm sewing those today!