Saturday, January 30, 2010

Movies from the Library

Toward the end of 2009, I started renting movies from the library. It can be hit or miss as to what is available. It is nice to have the movie for a week. I try to get new ones for the weekend. It is hard to find movies that appeal to an 11 and a 14 year old. We have relaxed letting Peanut watch more PG13 movies than Pumpkin ever did.

Some of the movies we have watched over the last month include the following:

Joyeux Noel - It was perfect to watch around the holidays. It made me think how our troops serving today handled the holidays.

Taking Chance - This was another movie with a military influence. It made me think about all our troops and the process that occurs when one dies in action. The movie is insightful.

Julie & Julia - I had just put this movie on hold at the library, when it showed up in the mail. Thanks, Justine! This was a great Christmas treat and we all thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It inspired me cook AND eat!!! Peanut loved Julia's affection for butter. He is there spreading tons of butter on his dinner rolls.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - The boys and I watched this on the afternoon of their first snow day a few weeks ago. I have to confess that I did not make it all the way through the movie. I think this is the type of movie where you have to watch more than you listen. That makes it hard to knit while you watch. I got wrapped up in my knitting and lost interest in the movie. They boys thought is was okay.

My Sister's Keeper - This is an emotional one. Pumpkin did not like the emotions it stirred up in him. No one wants to focus on death. He did come back to finish the movie. We all thought it was one that made you think.

A Beautiful Mind - A few days before we watched this movie, I was talking to someone who's son is graduating from Princeton this spring with a degree in Math. I enjoyed this movie. I think I tried to read the book when in came out years ago. I did not get very far. Boy, this movie gives you appreciation for mental illness. It made me glad that I am not off the charts smart!

The Soloist - I had wanted to see this one when it came out. I was thrilled to see it at the library this weekend. We watched it last night. It too has a view of mental illness. I was enamored with the main character's musical talent. Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx did an incredible job. The movie is a few years old. The homeless in LA at the time of the movie was very high. I am sure the numbers are higher now. I pray we'll get all this homelessness worked out.

Evening - I ended up seeing this one through. We popped it in on Friday, the boys' second snow day. They pretty much packed it in right away. I knitted away and listened. It has a great cast, but the movie is not the best.

The Notebook - I had some ironing to do and popped this one in last week. Medical researchers need to eradicate Alzheimer's! I pray that is not the way I go. But, what a love story this is!

Four Christmases - In the middle of the holidays, we were lucky enough to rent this. It was entertaining with some of the slap stick humor that a 14 year old loves!

The Reader - This one is R rated. The Big Guy and I watched it without the boys. It starts out with some steamy sex scenes. The movie revolves around sin and absolution. It makes you think about guilt, sin, and what is right. I thought Kate Winslett did a phenom job in this movie.

There might be a few more, but these are ones that came to mind. This is a small accomplishment for me. I always fall asleep during movies. But, I am getting better. We try to make the Friday night movie thing, a family thing. The boys look on the counter when they get home from school to see what movies I got. Plus, it is economical. It costs so much for all of us to go to the movies. We are trying to learn patience waiting for the movies to come out on DVD. Lastly, it is a great excuse to knit! I just knit along with the movie. It makes it worthwhile and keeps me interested in the movie.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I am going to have to look up your movie suggestions! I loved Julie & Julia, but the book is much better though I loved everything in the movie about Julia Child. I understand her feelings about being tall! I love the Notebook and A Beautiful Mind is one of Craig's favorites. You do know that Ron Smith helped animate Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I haven't seen it yet. We just watched Shorts last evening and it was perfect for a 6th grade boy to watch... that kind of humor! I thought it was funny but Craig couldn't stand it!! Oh well. We've been doing Netflix again. It's not free but only $8.99/mo. and we can download as many as we want to the tv.