Monday, November 5, 2007

Race for Education

Yesterday my younger son, Peanut, and my husband, Joe Bob, ran in a 5K. The proceeds benefit the public school district and the individual schools the children attend. My older son, Pumpkin, volunteered at the water table. He needs community service hours for the Jr. Beta club.

The weather was gorgeous and the route is very flat. Based on Peanut's stellar performance two weekends ago, we had high expectations. I expected more people. But, I guess there are lots of things vying for time on a Sunday afternoon.

Peanut and Joe Bob started off strong. I walked to my place near the finish in the shade. I got this one action shot. It is from pretty far away. At this point, Peanut started his "break-away" from Dad. Peanut ran a little bit further. I glanced down and he had stopped running. I picked up my pace to go cheer him on to the finish. Little did I know we were going to see his pb&j AGAIN!!!! Joe Bob was right there consoling him - which he really did not need. As soon as he was done, he stood right up and ran full out to the finsh line. I've learned this is quite common at races. I found it to be disgusting. Those things make me nervous. I did maintain control. Once I saw that Peanut was okay, I was relieved. To top it all off, he a personal best time. We waited around for the prize drawings, but we weren't lucky. Peanut was starving! He ate all the free food they had to offer coming home and eating dinner too! I was just impressed that he did finish. I think I would have sat down and cried!


Peanut and Joe Bob resting after the finish of the race.

We hope this doesn't prevent him from wanting to do this again. He is a talented little runner. We are going to stick with 5Ks that start first thing in the morning. Then, there is no question as to whether you eat or not! I was a softie last night and caved into his request for new running shoes - anything to keep the interest alive. We tried something different and ordered them online. I will be surprised if they fit!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Tell him he should be very proud of himself!! I couldn't do that! And your names for these guys are cracking me up!!! What's your nickname?? :))

Becky said...

Susie Bob!